5.18.2009

Hotel Rwanda: The 2:30 am Wake-Up Call


In history class we are learning about African History and for our last project each student has chosen a country to learn about. I chose Rwanda. Last night I watched the movie Hotel Rwanda and I never thought I could see so much hate between two groups, the Tutsi and the Hutu, who were made to hate each other by the Belgian colonial power. Just watching the movie made me so scared and want to help the world. These genocides, murders, and rapes are happening on the other side of the world and no one seems to talk about it. 
One of the small roles of a camera man, played by Joaquin Pheonix, said a very true thing, "Even if we show Americans this footage, families will probably say oh that's so sad and then keep on eating their dinners." I feel like I do that all the time, but I really want to make a change.
I decided to write about this movie and this issue, because I have never felt so motivated to do something at 2:50 in the morning. But anyways, I have done some research on the internet and there are so many ways to help the world like at change.org. Although the Rwandan genocide was in 1994, the current genocide in progress is in Sudan. My sister had already done some work with it by making tshirts, which I would wear but they are too small, that simply say "stop genocide in sudan." The best way to spread change is by word; my sister did it through her tshirts, now, I am doing it through this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment